Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cooking chicken with charcoal for the first time

After putting the grill together I decided to go for it. I had purchased a package of six (6) chicken thighs, I think they were thighs.

On the way home from the supermarket I saw a train that had stopped next to the Walden Animal Deli.  I took a few minutes to snap pictures because this doesn't happen every day. The engine was huge.







There were a few cars further down waiting to be connected to it.


As soon as I got home I had to work on the apple wood. I cut it into 3" pieces and then I used a hammer and an old screwdriver to split those pieces into smaller ones. It worked!


Then I had to soak them in water. I bought this pan that I could use to soak the chips.


I had to be very careful while I was outside because...


...  deer were all over the yard leaving presents behind. 

Earlier that morning I made a bbq sauce from a recipe that I thought I would like. The sauce took about an hour and thirty minutes to prepare and make. After it cooled down I saved about two cups in the refrigerator and another cup for the first attempt.

Then I had to move the grill from the house to the patio and I had to make sure the cat wasn't going to escape and run outside. I enticed her with cat treats and with Raspy safe in a room I was able to move the grill on the patio. Got the bag of charcoal out, the fire starter, chicken with spices already on, tongs, bbq sause, drip pan, apple and wood. I also got ready to get the charcoal ready. I took two sheets of a newspaper, the print edition, of course. To the first sheet I added some oil and I wrapped it with the other sheet. I placed the two sheets under the charcoal starter, added coal on the top of it and lit the bottom with a match.


The coals are ready to be added to the grill.


For Christmas Diane sent me spices and this was a good one to put on the chicken. I rubbed olive oil on the chicken, Diane's spice, pepper, and garlic powder.


The chicken is beginning to cook. Please notice the drip pan under the chicken.


 After adding the chicken and placed the cover the temperature started to rise.


This baby is working! The temperature is at 350 and the smoke is building up. Sweet mother of pearl. Looks like we'll be having chicken for dinner tonight.


As you can see it got a little dark and I am surprised the flash didn't go off but the chicken is ready baby.


Here is the chicken inside the house.


Guess who else likes bbq chicken.


Isn't she a beauty? Her name is Raspy, short for Rasputin. She adopted us a few years ago and she is part of the family.


She had a good portion of it and she was happy for awhile. She took a nap and was nowhere to be seen for hours after this dinner.

Well, the dinner was delicious and Eileen loved it too, I think. 

5 comments:

  1. WHAT HAPPENED TODAY? I will not be able to sleep tonight!
    How did Achilles clean up?
    Please explain in detail why Achilles was the grill for you.
    It was a good idea to put pictures of a naked cat to spice up the blog. Did Raspy sign a release?
    This blog has all the makings of a reality TV show"..........Kardashain's watch out
    Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charcoal grills don't clean very easily and you need to be proactive in this area. I Place an aluminum foil under the cooking area that catches the drippings.

      I chose this particular grill because it had many advantages over similar grills, mainly charcoal. The grill itself has a domed cover that, I think, maximizes the cooking efficiency. The heat and smoke engulfs whatever you cooking thus resulting in a better experience. Additionally, the aluminum damper can be positioned anywhere with respect to the cooking area. Also, the cooking grate is doubly hinged that allows the cook to easily add coals if and when needed.

      TV show? YES! We are in the money.

      Delete
  2. I stopped by the Walden Animal Deli. What a menu. I could not deside what to try:
    Gerbil Reuben on Pumpernickel
    Hamster and Swiss on Rye
    Beagle Burger with BBQ Guppy sauce
    Or the Siamese quiche
    It all sounded so good
    I can see why you go threre, Evan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have never been there. They carry a wide range of pet products at affordable prices and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

      Delete