Thursday, May 13, 2021

My two One-Year-Old Thomcords and the Modified Munson Trellis System

During the summer of 2020 I purchased two Thomcord table grape vines from Double A Vineyards. Not a huge purchase, but I am backyard-kinda gardener and, in terms of space, that's all I can afford. Our whole property, including the house, is 1/3 of an acre.

First, let me explain why I purchased Thomcords instead of any other type of grape vine. I grew up in Korinthos, Greece and in that region they grow Sultana or Sultanina table grapes. This grape is perfect for making Chablis-type of wine AND amazingly sweet, voluminous raisins. My parents would buy these raisins by the case (τελάρο), because of their taste and in that region local raisins were very inexpensive. They would have the case set by the kitchen exit door and I would stuff my pockets with them and run out to play. Also, my mom would often make dolmades and I remember her calling me and asking me to go to the backyard to get grape leaves for her. Good times! 

In the US the Thompson grape variety is equivalent to the Sultanina and it grows in zones 7 - 9. I live in New York, America, and the zone in my town is at best 6a. This means that the Thompson grape vine will never survive the harsh winters. But wait, there is more! HOWEVER, the Thomcord variety is a cross between Thompson and Concord and it well suited for cold climates. BINGO

Well, I love to cook and I want to make dolmades using the same leaves as the ones my mom used back in my Korinthos days. Please note that I use Korinthos and not Corinth because Korinthos is the correct name of the town, but I digress.

In general, table grapes require a different trellis system that that of wine grapes. Double A Vineyards recommend the Modified Munson trellis

The image below shows four wires strung between two posts. I've created several videos about this system, ref 1, ref 2 and I will not cover that material here. 

(Image referenced from https://extension.unh.edu/sites/default/files/pictures/figure4.png)
 

As the vine grows, you will need to train it and "send" two cordons to the left and two to the right starting form the head of the vine. Then, as the vine will grow, you will further send canes that grow from the cordons to drape over the outer wire of the Munson system.

Here is the beginning of the "training". This Thomcord vine image shown below is about one year old. 


The same vine is shown here while I was working on adding the twine. 

Below I show the second vine that I've planted. This vine had a rough start because I didn't pay close attention after I planted it and it had several slugs munching on the leaves. After I "relocated" the slugs, it started to grow again.  


The image below shows the marginal growth after the vine's first winter. 


Normally, you should clear all leaves that grow on the trunk of the vine because that growth will rob energy from going to the grapes. As I said in the beginning, the primary reason for this is to get leaves to make dolmades and I will not trim the leaves. 

Happy gardening! 


No comments:

Post a Comment