Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dunkin Donuts Mystery Lid Design

I have been a Dunkin' Donuts fan and customer for 36 years, basically since I came to this country. I love their products, especially their coffee. I have been wondering, though, for several years already, about the functionality of their cup lids. Please keep reading and try to help me answer a question that has been bothering me for many years already.

Most people go to Dunkin' Donuts, buy coffee, consume their coffee and throw their cup away. Well, I don't do that. After having their coffee I hold on to the cup and I try to understand the mechanics of it by trying to get into the mind of the designer(s). What were they thinking when they were locked in a room designing the lid? What questions were formulating, their arguments, their counterarguments. their fears.

When I drive and I see a new Dunkin' Donuts store that I haven't visited before I always go in and buy a coffee and I try to mingle with the employees in an effort to learn more about the mystery behind the design of their coffee lids.

Here is a typical, traditional coffee cup with the lid attached to it available for customers that is simple and to the point. Please pay attention to the lid and the pull-back part that exposes a hole where you can sip the coffee. You pull back that part, push it onto the top surface of the lid and snap lock it there. The lid was designed to make the process easy by having perforations strategically placed along the pull-back part.


Here is that pull-back part locked onto the lid. The design is simple and to the point. You can drink your coffee time after time and you will not have any questions to grapple with. Period. 


Here is another coffee cup design from Dunkin' Donuts. Please note the pull-back part that is very different looking from the previous design.


This design is very similar but it is different. This lid has no perforations because it is separate from the lit itself. The floppy thing you can be pulled back AND pulled away form the lid! This is the lid that drives me nuts. The more I look at it, the more it bothers me and the more questions I generate.




Initially, the lid seems normal to the casual observer but as you hold the lid and you begin to play with it you begin to wonder what the functionality of each part is. Here is the floppy part that has been pulled back exposing the hole to drink from. Please note that it's attached to a boomerang-like portion and both can be pulled away from the lid thus completely separating them from the lid.


Hold the pull-back part with your hand and continue to pull it back and you will separate it and the boomerang from the lid. The pull-back component now becomes a pull-away component. Why did they go to such length to design such a complex structure. I can see the machinery involved in the production of this lid. Why did they attach the pull-back part to the boomerang-like shape and then allowed the whole thing to separate from the lid? I would have been happy with just the pull-back part that would attach back to the lid.

The image below shows the pull-away part separated from the lid.


Here is the same structure sitting next to the cup. Why would they design such a complex structure for so little functionality? What is the purpose of this boomerang-like shape? WHY?


In my office at home I have a cardboard box under the printer desk with just a Dunkin' Donuts lid in it and many times I go there, take the lid in my hands, look at it and wait for some divine intervention that would help me solve this question. Then I begin to play with it and try to understand why did they go to the trouble to create such a complex component for such a simple lid with such simple function. Why would the customer(s) want to have such functionality in the lid? The pull-back part is just fine and enough for me. It is the pull-back part, attached to the boomerang-like shape that separates from the lid that drives me crazy. What problem did the engineers and designers solved by allowing it to separate from the lid?

It was a great improvement in the coffee cup design when they added the pull-back part that exposed a hole for you to sip your coffee. They should have stopped there. Here is the removable structure attached to the sipping hole and the boomerang-like part in the air. Obviously this is not the way we are supposed to use this structure.


I remember in the late seventies when I lived in Yonkers, NY, I was buying take-out coffee from the Broadway Inn Diner. The process was simple and to the point. After buying the coffee I would put the cup down on a solid surface and I would remove the lid from the cup. Then, with my teeth I would cut two small slits in the lid close to each other. Then I would put my thumb between the two slits and squeeze it with my thumb and index finger and slowly pull back that portion of the lid just enough to create a hole for me to sip coffee.

Nowadays, though, I spent my time trying to figure out the function of the pull-away portion. I try all kinds of configurations. Here are some ideas that have failed. I even tried to turn the whole lid upside down to see if that would produce a viable, sensible solution. But noooooooooooooooo.


 Here is another failed effort.


I waste so much of my time at Dunkin' Donuts trying to figure out the reason behind the design of this lid. It has become an obsession of mine and I hope to have a resolution soon. I contacted Dunkin' Donuts via their website and I haven't received a response yet. I hope my inquiry will land in the hands of a caring person who will help me with my quest. Do you know what is the reason behind this design? Why did they connect the pull-back part to the boomerang-like shape that pulls away from the lid? HELP!!!!!!!!

There is an updated post you may want to check.

35 comments:

  1. My daughter is just as curious as you are and driving me crazy with this. She is thinking to contact the maker of the cup to find out what the reasoning is behind it. She says the makers of the cup is DART. I personally don't drink coffee and care nothing about this but would like her to stop annoying me with it. If you find out anything more, please keep me posted so I might be able to stop her from talking about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue.
      I contacted DD and the cup manufacturer and here is the bottom line:
      The fact that the floppy part is detachable is just a matter of convenience. If the person doesn't like to have that floppy part s/he can remove it.

      In this day and age we choose to design such a complex structure in order to give the buyer ALL possible options. How about if they designed a simpler lid and donated the extra money to charity?

      If I were the head of DD I would have a press release and state that DD chooses to use simple products, charged one penny extra for it and every month donate to a charity all this money. I know I am whining and I also know that my children will read this and say that "dad is being grumpy and bitter, yet again."

      Evan

      Delete
  2. Evan, clearly you missed the point and beauty of the design of this top--

    I believe the flat, pull and discard cup top should be banned and it's inventor jailed, preferably in a cell next to the guy who designed the top for Starbucks.

    Look at how the slope of the top leading up to the hole is set just right to avoid the entire contents of the cup trying to escape all at once as you tip it toward your mouth? I've never burned my mouth with DD coffee, even right out of the pot.

    And, how the additional space in the lid and the re-sealing flap lets you put pressure on the cup (as in holding the cup in your hand) and not have coffee shoot out the top like a geyser (why the Starbucks top creator should be jailed).

    Speaking of the re-seal function- Walk down the street with your "pull tab, throwaway" top gone or for that matter, with a Starbucks cup without the green stopper planted firmly in the hole without getting coffee all over you. With the DD cup, you can reseal and run for the bus!

    Last, it has all the information you need about it impressed right into the top: "Lift" "Lock" "Caution Hot."

    Pretty much perfect in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe the issue is in the design of the lid per se; it is the best design out there. The issue is: Why is it detachable? Folded back and locked it's completely out of the way so why does it need to be removed? If someone is that twitchy about the flap hanging there in the locked position they probably shouldn't be drinking coffee in the first place.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Evan. I found your post after encountering this crazy lid for the first time at a Dunkin Donuts in the airport. The answer to this puzzling design is simple: it serves an important legal function. The patented superfluous attachment avoids any infringement issues relating to the well-designed McDonalds and Starbucks lids. It is much less expensive to add an extra piece of cheap plastic than to be sued for patent infringement or pay royalties for every single cup of coffee you sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunkin Donuts lids are made by DART, Starbucks are made by SOLO, and McDonald's are made by a mystery company. Each one has different patents, and none of them look similar, so its not that.

      A guy above said he contacted DD and the cup manufacturer and they said:
      The fact that the floppy part is detachable is just a matter of convenience. If the person doesn't like to have that floppy part s/he can remove it.

      Delete
    2. You're kind of making his point. Apparently mystery company made the flip back closing lid, and DART wanted to make one just like it. Unfortunately it was patented so they created an (essentially) superfluous extra piece to avoid copyright infringement. I'm not validating that copyright infringement was actually the cause of the removable portion, but it does make sense.

      Delete
  4. Hello. I find this hilarious because I'm sitting in DD right now thinking "what is this for? Why is it made this way. So I quickly searched and happened to find this post. I really thought I was the only person pondering this. Thankfully I'm not alone. I was hoping for a way cooler response than "convenience" was hoping there was a secret trick like the small, paper, cups for ketchup. (They expand and you can hold more) I felt awesome when I learned that. Slightly disappointed with this lid situation, I still think there has to be another reason. I'm not willing to let go of my "what's this boomerang for" quest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The answer from DART is so simple, it's hard to accept. It is amazing the waste involved in "modern convenience". What I learned most from all of this is that I am not the only person pondering such things and google searching for answers. It's been a curiosity of mine for quite a while too! Thank you for the post and research. Stay curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure I've figured it out: it stops coffee from spilling through the little breathing puncture. I've had coffee leak through that little hole with other cups, but with this design, 2 layers with offset punctures, that can't happen. Kind of brilliant actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cal,
      Is it necessary to have such a design for the purpose you mentioned? I think it is kind of an overkill.

      Delete
  7. DD cups used to be notorious for leaking. Drink out of the cup for a while and then lift the little boomerang thing and you'll see leakage underneath. The lids have breather holes and they added the second layer with an offset hole, it keeps any leakage contained.... That is the purpose of the design, it is removable for convenience though....

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guess is that it is easier to make two separate pieces then snap them together rather than make one large lid with a built in "dangling hole cover/plug" thingy. Think of having each of the two cover pieces rapidly made in a two-piece stamping machine process rather than needing a more complex process to add that "hole plug" built onto the cover. I'm not an engineer so this is just my observation/guess. Probably for legal or safety reasons Dunkin Donuts also needed some way to cover the opening to help prevent people from being burned by hot coffee. If you go to Starbucks they offer a green stirrer/plug for their hot coffee lids so their hot coffee doesn't spill out the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having once worked for a plastics molding company, this was my assumption also.

      Delete
  9. When I first buy my coffee , I use the red straw-like thing. that is obviously to stir your coffee. Normally ,I throw it away. But later as my coffee has been sitting. I use the fatter part to stir the coffee again. Then I attach it back k to use it again.. that stupid detachable part has been driving me up the wall more than the caffeine itself. So I madeup my oown use for it

    ReplyDelete
  10. when I first buy my cup of coffee before leaving Dunkin Donuts I I add the sugar and creamer. and I stir it with the red stirring straw. then I throw it out. later I use the fat part of that lid thing to stir it some more. Then I clip it back on the lid. that little piece of plastic has been driving me up the wall more than the caffeine has. I just ended up making my own use for if

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Dunkin XL cup lid leaks pretty much everyday from the bottom of the lid where it seals onto the top of the cup. Everytime I take a sip little beads of coffee form under the edge of the lid and drip down the side of the cup leaving coffee rings everywhere I put the cup down. aggghhh, I love dunkins but the leaking is ruining clothes, I have to walk around with a paper towel around the cup. I do let my coffee sit for about a half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the debate on this. I am amazed by the "innovation!" Does anyone know when this innovation was created?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The answer to this is not as simple as convince. If you look at the tab, there is a small hole, the lid I am looking at is on the left side of the tab with the drink hole closest to me. If you remove the tab, you will see another small hole in the lid where the "boomerang" is placed, mine is on the right side. These holes are there for the drink hole to have easier flow, but sometimes you will see overflow coming out of this hole. The tab is to prevent this overflow from coming out of the lid and spilling on you - you will see coffee in boomerang insert when you remove it. Personally, I think they should have focus a little more attention on the seal of the lid to the cup as this is where the real leakage occurs. If you have a chance, check out Community Coffee's foam cup made by a company called Pactiv. It is like comparing a Mercedes to a Kia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's suppose to be resealable to help your coffee stay cold longer and keep from spilling it for example when you hit a pothole in your car. Its not suppose to be removed, it's just a function of manufacturing and unlike perforated tabs it doesn't leak. Also it should bend all the way back into another slot to secure the tab back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought it was so the lid could hang on the edge of the cup to cool without the lip of the lid being on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought it wS so the lid could hang off the cup to cool without the lip of the lid touching the table

    ReplyDelete
  17. This DD lid manufactured by Dart is an expensive option in this space. The design requires the removable tab to be thermoformed separately and then attached to the lid after it has been thermoformed. Very inefficient and costly process, and probably close to 20% more PS or PP per lid. They do work very well though.
    Georgia Pacific manufactures a lid with a separate sliding tab that requires hand assembly... Not sure who has the business case to pay for that premium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ran across this thread and wanted to provide an answer, even though it's an old thread. The reason for the detachable "boomerang" is entirely about the manufacturing process. An unknown commenter stated this, too. It would be impossible to create a flap with the plug out of a single piece of plastic if you didn't want to perforate and remove part of the lid to fold back, like everyone has seen before and the author describes well, even making his own by cutting a solid lid. Okay, so now we agree that it takes two pieces of plastic, right? Why make it removable? Simple...cost! To weld two pieces of plastic, you need heat, and heat takes energy, and energy costs money. The Dart lod design solves this by using a simple interlock design to attach the file piece to the lid piece. No extra energy required, since they were stamping/extruding both pieces anyway. The simple truth is that the flap isn't "removable", it's "attachable".

    ReplyDelete
  19. My wife left me on account of my obsession with coffee lids. I guess you can say she was..detachable

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is one of the largest coffee and baked goods chains in the world,
    with more than 12,000 restaurants in 36 countries.
    The chain’s products include doughnuts, bagels, other baked goods,
    and a variety of hot and iced beverag
    https://telldunkin.online/

    telldunkin.online website

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know where you live,but all of these lids are way better than the lids that DD has been using here in Miami,Fl area for about 10 years made by ecotainer. It merely has a hole at the edge. You can not cover and uncover like the original. I recently flew from FLL to PHL airports. Both in the airports and on the JetBlue flight, the cups had one of the old lids and I was so happy and nostalgic. These lousy lids https://www.google.com/search?q=ecotainer+Dunkin+Donuts+lids&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD0OWKnb7eAhUBVd8KHV2VCWEQ_AUIEygC&biw=1920&bih=916#imgrc=siGuskH2ipXW8M:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be writing another post soon about these lids, but here in NY they haven't change them. There will be another post soon.

      Delete
  22. I don't know where you live,but all of these lids are way better than the lids that DD has been using here in Miami,Fl area for about 10 years made by ecotainer. It merely has a hole at the edge. You can not cover and uncover like the original. I recently flew from FLL to PHL airports. Both in the airports and on the JetBlue flight, the cups had one of the old lids and I was so happy and nostalgic. These lousy lids https://www.google.com/search?q=ecotainer+Dunkin+Donuts+lids&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD0OWKnb7eAhUBVd8KHV2VCWEQ_AUIEygC&biw=1920&bih=916#imgrc=siGuskH2ipXW8M:

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you take this extra piece of plastic off the lid and turn it upside down and reposition it back into the snap in portion it becomes a protection for men's mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you take the removable piece of plastic off the cup turn it around and turn it upside down resurfacing it in the notch it becomes protection for men's mustaches to avoid coffee or foam.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What do you know about the foam cups in medium size. Are they flush fill or regular? 14J16 or 14J12? 14 ounces full or to the line?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What do you know about the foam medium size coffee cup like in your photo? Are they flush fill or not flush fill? Model 14J16 or 14J12? Do they both hold 14 ounces or does one 14 ounce size actually hold more? Do you like the new cups as much as the foam cups?

    ReplyDelete
  27. you are all wrong. if you take the piece off you will notice there is a small air hole to release the pressure. you will also notice it is on the opposite side on the cup and the middle of the piece is raised. this allows for any coffee that may escape from the cups release hole to stay in the lid and not spray all over you. It is a built in reservoir and the release holes are offset for your protection. personally I think it is genius. someone actually taking the time to make something that works for the consumer and not the retailer.

    ReplyDelete