Friday, February 8, 2013

Easy grilled steaks

We haven't had a good steak at home in awhile. So, I got in the car and drove to my favorite supermarket, Adams Fairacre Farms, to buy two handsome steaks. I was very happy with the idea. I turned the radio on and chose 97.9, La Mega, my most favorite latino station and it was playing "salsa classico!"


At the super market after several minutes of talking and arguing with one of the butchers I finally decided to buy two handsome strip steaks. I looked for  a substantial amount of evenly distributed  specks of fat in the meat.




At home I had the steaks in the refrigerator for a few hours but I took them out and let them sit for one hour before cooking them. Cooking meat right out of the refrigerator will make them tough.

When it was time for grilling them, I sprinkled a little olive oil and coated them with fresh ground pepper. Other cooks use salt too but because of my high blood pressure I don't use any. I placed the steaks in the oven not because I wanted to cook them but I didn't want Raspy to get any ideas while I was getting things ready. Using Gimp worked very well in getting the oven "clean." By the way, since then I cleaned the oven properly.


Raspy, as always, was watching me like a hawk. In this picture she is pretending that she is looking away but we all know that is is plotting to destroy the world.


I finally took the steaks out, got the grill ready and when the grill was nice and hot I placed them on the grate. As you can see the coals are evenly distributed in the middle of the lower grate for direct heat cooking.


I tried to cook them four minutes on one side and the same time on the other, after flipping them.


Eileen had a nice salad ready with my world famous vinaigrette dressing.  Raspy had a decent helping and she loved it.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment