Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Planning time!

Today I met with my son, and he told me that he wants to eat Boston pork butt. As soon as I heard that I literally froze for a short period of time because I knew I had a challenge at hand. He wants to come this Saturday for lunch and today is Tuesday. OMG!!!!!! WHAT AM I GONNA DO?????? I NEED MORE TIME! Shiver my timbers! So much to plan, buy and prepare. My reputation as a grill master is jeopardized.

My wife and I went to our favorite supermarket, Adams Fairacre Farms, because I wanted to see the size of their Boston pork butts. Here is some history that explains the strange name, courtesy of Wikipedia.
Some pork cuts were packed into barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment. In the Boston area the way the hog shoulder was cut became known in other regions as "Boston butt".
The pork butt was about 6.5 lbs but it looked rather large to me. I have seen pork buts the size of New Jersey but 6.5 lbs seem very large to me.



Since the son wants to have lunch with us everything has to be ready about 1pm which means I have to start at 3am. I will have the grill ready with the air vents closed 90%, the coal bag near by, wood chips soaking in water, flash light, and telephone charged. I also have to go out and buy a digital thermometer. The pocket rinky dinky thermometer we currently have will not cut it.

The price is right


but I will have to add other side dishes to go with the main course. I have been thinking about doing Evan's world famous beans and grandma Ray's coleslaw.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment