Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Yesterday I Started Seeds Indoors

In the summer of 2018, I started to garden for the first time. I built one raised bed and planted a variety of vegetables. At the same time, I bought eight 5-US Gallon buckets from Lowe's to plant potatoes in. The planting and growing of the vegetables and potatoes was a huge success! Unfortunately, we had a rainy summer and aside from two green bell peppers, seven puny tomatoes, and about a dozen potatoes, the garden was a lot of fun.

I've been educating myself in the various aspects of gardening and I felt I was ready to tackle a larger project than just one raised bed.

I added three additional raised beds using pallets, and one potato tower for the 2019 season and I cannot be any happier. I see gardening as a journey, an ongoing experience and not just planting for yielding high amounts of crops.

For the spring of 2019, I bought my seeds from:
I chose three different varieties of tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and a variety of herbs. I also bought asparagus seeds and I am very excited about this particular vegetable because Ruth Stout wrote extensively about her methods of growing asparagus in Connecticut.

Here is my finished asparagus bed that I prepared in September of 2018 with a heavy layer of hay and straw.


During the late fall of 2018, I added a few inches (five 5-gallon buckets) of chopped leaves that my good neighbor Scott. gave me.

I also had to buy a few other items to accelerate the germination of seeds: a two-bulb shop light from LOWE'S in Newburgh, NY, two LED bulbs, two fifty-cell potting trays, and a six pack of Corona.

I created a short YouTube video with the finished product.


Happy growing veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment