Thursday, March 7, 2019

Making a Small Batch of Sauerkraut

A few days ago I made a small batch of sauerkraut. I had made a much larger batch of sauerkraut recently, but it was so good that I ate all of it. The next batch will be with red cabbage. Yum!

Sauerkraut fermentation creates conditions that promote the growth of beneficial probiotics. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your digestive system.

By the way, on Route 52 in Orange County, NY, there is a small strip of stores and one of them is called SourKrauts Automotive. I have to go there and mingle with them because I really think they are a bunch of angry Germans or some sort of sauerkraut aficionados who love cars. Once I visit them I will edit this post with the findings.

For this recipe, I used one medium head of white cabbage and one tablespoon of salt. I made a YouTube video of the whole process.



Happy fermenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment