Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Getting Ready to Make Sauerkraut

Recently we had lunch at Karma Road, a vegan restaurant in New Paltz, NY. The village of New Paltz is best known around the world for its outdoor attractions, and we’ve going there since the late 1970s for a quick bite or to just walk around. Good times! I had a "reuben sandwich" at Karma Road that was just delicious. The sandwich had sauerkraut on it which accented the tempeh very well. I knew I had to make sauerkraut a.s.a.p.

Off to Adams I went to buy a variety of cabbages: green, purple, and savoy. I was thinking about adding one or two thinly shredded carrots, you know for color. Yum! This is exciting!

Sauerkraut is particularly nutritious because it is fermented. Sauerkraut contains probiotics that are beneficial bacteria that act as the first line of defense against toxins and harmful bacteria. They can also improve your digestion and overall health. I'm sold on this already.

Tomorrow mid-early afternoon I will begin the process of making sauerkraut and I'm all ready for this. I have several of one-quart Ball jars, the cabbage, the carrots, and salt. Done!


Happy fermenting and stay tuned for more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment