Friday, April 2, 2021

Recipe for Greco-Roman Chicken Scaloppini

For dinner tonight I made my "world famous" Greco-Roman Chicken Scaloppini



Ingredients

Three medium skinless, boneless chicken breasts sliced not too thin, pounded thinly and dipped lightly in all-purse flour. 

Three cups of sliced baby Bella mushrooms. 

Four medium shallots diced. 

Three tablespoons of my own sun dried cherry tomatoes with some of their oil. 

Two cups of sweet peas. 

Four cloves of garlic. I used my own that I grew last year. It’s a popular variety called Music and it’s just delicious. 

3/4 cup vegetable stock, chicken stock will be even better. 

1/2 wine. I use Riesling made locally at the Brotherhood Winery.  

Olive oil

Butter

Salt and pepper 

About 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour  

Eventually I made pasta and topped it with the chicken Scaloppini  

Directions

Remove any excess fat from the chicken breasts, slice them, pound them thin and dip them in the flour. Please remember that we’re not making Kentucky Fried Chicken here, take it easy with the flour. 

I sliced the mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and parsley. Slice the garlic a bit wide not too thin. 

I used a non-stick pan and added about 1/4 cup of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Once the oil and butter were nice and hot I added the chicken. Once the edges of the chicken changed color I turned them over and cooked for one more minute. I set the chicken aside, covered. 

In the same pan I added the onions, cooked them for two minutes and then added the garlic and cooked for another minute. 

Then, I added the sliced mushrooms and cooked them for about five minutes. Added a little pepper, to taste. 

I added the sun dried tomatoes along with their oil. When I dried them last year I added a nice sprinkle of salt, so don’t over salt your food when using sun dried tomatoes.

I mixed everything nicely and then added the Riesling wine followed by the vegetable stock and the sweet peas. Brought everything to a nice boil and added the chicken. I added about two tablespoons of butter and mixed everything nicely  

Ahead of time I added the stock in a pot and kept it warm there. You don’t want to add stock while cooking straight from the refrigerator. The same with the sweet peas that were frozen. I took them out of the freezer before I started and by the time I needed them they were at room temperature. 

I cooked it for another 10 minutes allowing some of the liquid to evaporate and the sauce to thicken up. Don’t forget that the chicken has a nice coating of flour that will help thickening the sauce  

The day before I made two traditional loaves of Greek flat bread called Lagána, Λαγάνα. I sliced thinly three pieces off the bread and toasted them lightly.

The pasta was perfectly cooked, the chicken was ready, the Lagána slices were ready and Alexa was playing Dr. Zhivago.

Dinner was fit for a king.

Yum!

Happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment