Thursday, April 1, 2021

Got me some goodwood chips for my compost

Today I was driving down the street and saw Logan working in a neighbor’s yard chipping small logs. Drove quickly back home, got four five-gallon buckets and went back to see Logan.

The wood chips will aerate the compost and will speed up the decomposition process. A compost needs three things: organic matter, moisture, and air. If you remove one of the three elements, the decomposition process comes to a halt, worms don’t stay and it will take a couple of years for it to decompose.

These are 'the boys". I would have packed them better, but I didn't want to appear to be a wood chip hog. 

    

I took one bucked at a time and slowly incorporated it into the compost. 



Folks, believe you me, it's not easy turning the compost, but you gotta do it. The chunks of wood and the turning of the compost will aerate it. This process is called aerobic composting and it's well worth it.



Twenty minutes later I was done. The compost heap was fuller, I was happier and the buckets were empty. 




Happy composting and keep your worms happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment