Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Say What?

I spend more time at the supermarket and it should be illegal. I loiter about the butcher or fishmonger's station and I strike random conversations with the employees there. I know, I have issues.

Today I was shocked with the language used to describe a type of cut of meat.


Please pay attention to the label because it says "Beef Round Round Cubes Boneless"

First of all do not throw into the mix Roundcube, the open source webmail software because it has nothing to do with meat and message I am trying to convey here. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the issue I am dealing with.


First of all, as a former math student and ancestor of many great mathematicians I was insulted with the notion of "round cubes." What would Euclid say? Minimally, as a former Greek citizen, I am OUTRAGED!



We are dealing here with a specific cut of beef. The round is the hind section of the beef. Many steak lovers, like me, feel that it offers the best combination of texture and flavor. Cuts from the round include bottom round, cube steak, eye of the round, top round, round tip and rump steak.

So, what we have here is a total disregard of proper sentence structure and syntax. It should say the following:

Round Steak, Cubes

Perhaps they tried to say: 

BEEF
Round Cubes

So, I approached the butcher and tried to explain to him that the signage was incorrect and I recommended for him to create a supermarket committee to discuss signage verbiage. Quickly I realized that I was talking to a guy that was dressed in bloody clothing and he was holding a well sharpened knife. 'nough said.

1 comment: