Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chicken Strips Wrapped in Bacon

Yum!
I recently purchased two split chicken breasts and a small package of chicken strips. We already had a small package with bacon in the refrigerator and I decided to mix the two together and grill them. First, I removed the bones from the split breasts and I saved the bones for chicken stock that I will make the end of this week.

I took the chicken filets and split breasts and placed them in a bowl and added a mixture of one cup apple cider and 1/2 cup apple cider. I let the chicken filets get nice and comfy with the liquid for an hour.

After one hour I started taking out two chicken strips at a time for further processing.
Here is the five strips of bacon getting ready to be introduced to the chicken strips.


The first attempt to wrap the chicken was weak and the bacon didn't stick well enough to the chicken.




I immediately re-wrapped it and the results are noticeably better.The bacon is way to cozy with the chicken. Don't you think?


Because I was afraid that the bacon will loosen up and separate from the chicken while on the grill, I decided to use two toothpicks to hold either ends together.


Here is the final product. I also prepared the spray bottle with one cup of apple cider and half a cup of apple cider vinegar.


Here is Achilles getting all warmed up.


It was getting dark as you can see but Achilles was already going good. Look at the coals doing what they do best. As you can see I have the thin strips of chicken the farthest away from the coals. In the middle I have the split breasts and the bacon wrapped strips are over the coals.


When the chicken was almost ready I sprayed it with the apple cider mixture. About 40 minutes later the breasts were at 175 °F and I removed them from the fire an placed them in a non-stick cooking sheet.


I left the bacon-wrapped chicken strips five minutes longer because I wanted to have the bacon just a little crisp.


Here is the non-stick pan waiting for the chicken.



Inside the house even Raspy liked the chicken. She is the only cat East of the mighty Miss that eats flavored meats. Here she is inhaling the meat. 


Eileen had a nice salad to accompany the meat.


The bacon was cooked to perfection, crisp but not burned, and the chicken was moist and delicious. 


Note to self: Next time use plain toothpicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment