Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Taking advantage of great supermarket bargains

Recently I was shopping at my favorite supermarket, Adams in Newburgh, NY, America, where they have a very nice vegetable section where I saw the "bargain" cart loaded with packages. Normally that's the first area I go to because I always find great bargains there especially after holidays. 

This time they had bundled organic dill with spinach, leek and parsley. Each package had my name written all over it and it was very generously stuffed. Just the dill had an original price tag of $3.79 on it. I was buying $19 worth of stuff for $3. 

Most times I cook whatever I buy from that bargain cart the same day, but sometimes I choose to either freeze or dry it. The dill is already tied up with string and hung outside on the grapevine trellis to dry in the sun. At night I bring it inside the house because of the morning dew that will rehydrate the herb. If it's sunny and not too humid it will dry in 2-3 weeks. Then I take it indoors for further processing. I made a good video about processing my own dried herbs and you can watch it here. This time I will dry enough dill to last me sever months. I will add it to my world famous spinach pie and fish recipes. 




The point I'm trying to make is that you should take advantage of these special offers in order to stretch your money to its fullest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment