Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Weekly Menu - Solved by Mathematical Induction

I am sick and tired of asking/answering the age-old question, "What are we eating tonight?" I don't know about other households but in ours we ask this question seven times a week.

I will try to change this by creating some structure around this chaotic sequence of random decisions. In essence it is a problem of mathematical induction (Ref 1, 2, 3, 4) where a natural number n holds for all values of n. The case of mathematical induction holds true in my kitchen too because if I plan to cook good food the first week, say W, then the next week, W+1, the planning of good food will also be true too. But I digress.

Here is how it will work. Every Friday I will create a weekly menu. The "week" will start on Wednesday and will end on Tuesday. Why this weird configuration one might ask. It all stems from the fact that ShopRite holds its senior citizen discount every Tuesday and Adams holds its customer appreciation day on Wednesday and I am frugal (cheap according to some relatives of mine).



The menu items will not be listed specifically by day because I would not want everyone to know that, for instance, on Tuesday evening I will not be home but instead it will list seven lunches and seven dinners to confuse the local thieves.

Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment