Saturday, July 6, 2013

Visiting Friends

Recently my wife and I were invited to have pizza made outdoors in a wood fired oven. SWEET! having my own outdoor oven is a dream of mine. I was going to see a real pizza oven in person. I was excited.

Once we arrived at their house the oven was already lit for a three hours and the temperature inside the oven was about 700 °F. They had built the oven themselves!

The oven structure had three parts: the exterior decorative brick, the interior made with fire brick, and in-between those two they placed a steel drum. This way the heat generated inside the oven wouldn't escape easily. They also cut a window (to insert the food etc.) and they also made a door to prevent the heat from escaping.
The whole oven structure was vary impressive and I kept wiping my mouth because I was drooling from envy. 


The logs had become charcoal and the temperature was high.




They gave us a tour of the property where they had a variety of surprises...like two roosters. Of course I had to make a joke about how I couldn't wait to eat fresh eggs.


Inside the house in the kitchen they had industrial strength equipment. This is my kind of range. On the right side of the range they had the dough for the pizza.


Next to the range there was a plate full of just washed pacifiers. CUTE! The family was just expanded by one person just a month ago. You can never have enough pacifiers.


Finally, in terms of building my own outdoor pizza oven...they scared m straight. This is a huge project and you better know what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment